Sunday, June 26, 2011

An update on Samuel's Room!

I've been working hard on Samuel's room, and yesterday I did a heroic four hour push and got the last of the furniture moved.  Here are a few pictures:


I took these specifically of the bookshelf I picked up for $10 at a garage sale.  Samuel has a lot of books, so we knew we needed several shelves, and we also wanted the bottom shelf to hold baskets for his toys.  I think (I hope) that this will encourage him to help clean up.  The second to lowest shelf holds the books he reads now.  I wanted them to be within easy reach for two reasons: 1) So he would have the chance to take down and flip through books all on his own, if he wanted to and 2) So that he wouldn't over-reach to another, higher shelf, and possibly hurt himself.  The upper shelves are older books, the beginnings of my homeschool library (it can't hurt to plan, right?) and some special toys that aren't for playing with.  The top shelf, which you can't see in this picture, is holding toys for rotation.  I hope to move the larger toys in and out of rotation to keep things interesting and neat.
These pictures are taken from the doorway to the room.  His crib is all set up, the canvases I painted are on display, and you can see the valance as well.  I hung the canvases using the same tacks as I used to hang the valance, pinned with blue and white grosgrain ribbon.  You may have noticed the paint job?  Please, notice that paint job!  It took me weeks to do while he napped.

The dresser top is now cleared of clutter and holds his prefolds in one wicker basket and all of his shoes in another.  The rest of his diapers are in one of the drawers.

2 comments:

Morgs said...

It looks great!

mommo4.5 said...

Very nice, Amy. What you've done with the valance is so simple and looks great! And I do like the cream and white paint job. Rotating the toys is a good idea. I did that some, and can be almost like Christmas when you bring the old toys out again!