Friday, January 7, 2011

When a burqa doesn't cut it you need a Christian bathing suit.

I've decided to do a little series here on so many things to love...
It's a new year, and we're going to talk modest dress.  You name it, we're going to tackle it.  Hopefully in a practical way that someone might find helpful, but also as a chance for me to personally share from my huge collection of sites on this topic.  I have a lot of information about this particular virtue because I've been reading about it for over a year, and I think it's time to share.

Bathing suits.

Now that I've got your attention, take your head out of the fridge, people.  We need to talk.  I know, I know, buying a small piece of ugly patterned nylon fabric to wear in public is a horrible horrible way to spend your time.  Right up there with buying nursing bras.

And I know as well how incredibly difficult it is to buy a modest bathing suit, regardless of what your standards of modesty are, unless your standards of modesty happen to fit in with whatever the fashion of the season is.  Chances are if you're having trouble finding something, they don't.  And if you've been wandering the stores looking and looking and finding a whole lot of nothing, you might start browsing online to see what there is to see.

There's a lot to see.

If you have $100 to spend you can purchase something that will make you look like you're wearing a handkerchief or a comforter.  You can look like a Victorian, a grandmother, a prostitute, an Olympian or a man.  Not all at the same time, but still.  You can buy a suit that will make you look pregnant even if you're not.  You can buy a suit that has five layers of fabric.  You can resemble drapes.
You will come to a conclusion pretty quickly to narrow down what precisely you need.  Ask yourself these questions.

1.  What was my last bathing suit like?  Did I feel comfortable in it?  Do I want something more concealing or more revealing?

2.  What am I using this suit for?  I know it sounds obvious, but are you going to go swimming in the ocean?  Are you going to work as a lifeguard?  Is it going to be taken out once a year or used every day?

3.  Do I have any special concerns?  For example, do I want to cover my head as well?  Do I need to be able to nurse without taking my suit completely off?  Do I need a suit I can wear a mastectomy form with?

4.  Finally, based on the answers above, how much am I willing to spend?

Of course, and I can't repeat this strongly enough or often enough, modesty of dress is not all that modesty is.  Behaviour, words, even thoughts are called to be modest as well.  What do you stand to gain if you cover yourself completely but hate or lust grows in your heart?  Or if your words are loud and harsh, your actions show your hard heart and yet your skirt brushes the floor - you've missed the point, my friend.  If you feel convicted, though, that God has a different clothing choice in mind for you, then read on.  Perhaps slowly, over the years, you have just felt like maybe what you've been living with isn't enough anymore.

The answers you gave to the four questions above will probably guide you to one of three options.  A Modest Mainstream suit, a Christian or Moderately Modest suit, or a Very Modest suit.

The Modest Mainstream bathing suit is probably the choice most women will make for three reasons.  Firstly, they want to look like everyone else at the pool and not stand out.  Secondly, you can find a lot more options for a mainstream suit so you have more selection in terms of colours, etc.  And thirdly, they feel that the level of modesty that a mainstream suit offers them is comfortable for them.  Three very good reasons. 

Once you've moved past Modest Mainstream you've entered the realm of the Christian or Moderate Modest suit.  I call it a Christian Modest suit just because the majority of these types of suits seem to be made by Christian Home-Based buinesses.  Not every one, but a lot.  If you are a conservative who feels called to cover to the knees you will feel more comfortable with this type of suit.  Now, no one is wearing a hoodie in the pool at this point, but you're going to look a bit different and your bathing suit options are going to fall into the 'someone is going to stare at you' category.

Past Moderate Modest is Very Modest.  These are not bathing options for the faint of heart.  You will not be able to buy anything resembling these in stores anywhere, which means online shopping or purchasing a pattern to make your own.  A Very Modest suit is a lot of money and takes a lot of time to make.  It will freak out your non-Christian friends and family a lot.  A LOT.  Trust me on this.

Modest Mainstream Swimwear

This swimshirt and boardshort suit is a great example of Modest Mainstream.  No one is going to think anything of you showing up to a pool party in this.  Very sleek, not too form fitting - a good modern alternative.

Both Modbe and it's sister company, DownEast Basics offer Modest Mainstream suits with a bit of a retro flair.  After checking out their online offerings right now I see that they have completely switched over to Winter clothing, but you can get an idea of the kinds of suits that they offer on the blog Cute...Covered.  Unfortunately the blog is shutting down, but check it out while the pages are still up for a variety of Modest Mainstream suggestions.

I'm liking the accessibility of Rey Swimwear, which again plays on that retro-inspired theme to offer modern options.

Moderate Modest Swimwear

Here are a few others by Simply Modest, except that these are based on a swimdress and swimshorts pattern.

Meant To Be Modest (http://www.meanttobemodest.com/) has an almost identical version of the Simply Modest suit. 

A similar idea to the suit designed by Simply Modest is the version by Swim Modest, seen here: http://www.swimmodest.com/.  The difference here is that the one piece suit comes with an attached sarong-style skirt, instead of a swimming dress over a pair of leggings.

WholesomeWear (http://www.wholesomewear.com/) has a variety of Moderately Modest options as well, although their suits do NOT look modern in the slightest.  You will not blend in in a WholesomeWear suit.  However, the company is well known and well thought of, from what I've heard.  You can be guaranteed to get a quality product and their suits are cut away from the body, which is nice.

Very Modest Swimwear

In the Very Modest camp you can't ignore the Muslim women.  These ladies have it down pat when it comes to a bathing suit that is functional but completely covering. 

Splashgear has a variety of suits that don't include a head covering, so essentially a long sleeve UVA/UVB swimming shirt and a pair of pants cut from swimsuit material.  Actually, I think the pants are cute. 

Ahiida also has swimsuits that offer the long-sleeved plus pants option, except that their pants are mid-calf and a bit more form-fitting.

Then there's Primo Moda, which just pretty much wraps you in voluminous spandex, if that's your thing.

There are dozens, literally dozens more sites.  In my wanderings I found a Catholic Priest's blog that railed against anything retro, a Frum Jewish site that offered Orthodox women plain coloured suits that covered the elbows, 'modest' bikini options and some truly out-there Islamic options.  Let's not judge each other's choices, though.  With a thoughtful heart and an open mind we can ideally see value in each outfit.  The important thing to remember as a Christian choosing a modest option is that you are glorifying the Lord and following His will for your life.  If you find yourself thinking prideful thoughts on how modest you'll appear to your friends, or, alternatively, worrying about how you'll appear, then you've missed the point entirely and my humble suggestion is that you consider carefully your intentions behind your choices.

In the meantime, let me know if you have particularily interesting sites I can add to my stash!

2 comments:

shereen said...

thank you very much for highlighting "splashgear" in your list of modest swimwear, it is appreciated. you and your readers may also be interested in the following website that is maintained by a muslim woman who lists different sites that provide modest dress, categorized by faith/creed:

http://www.modestclothes.com/

hope you find that site useful.

God bless.

Splashgear management
www.splashgearusa.com

the rabbi's wife said...

I love my Mar-sea bathing dress! I don't swim often, but it's a really good option, and very durable.

I am really amazed at the number of women who would NEVER consider dressing provocatively on the street and then choose a bikini for swimwear. Such a disconnect in my mind.