Friday, October 26, 2012

Seven Quick Takes: The Whole Foods Edition


Check out Jen for more 7 Quick Takes
1.  I'm finding that I have to 'forage' a lot more in finding the foods we can eat.  Who has the best deals?  Who stocks free-range eggs?  Who has local ground beef?  It's fun, actually, seeing how cheap I can get stuff and still have it be healthy.

2.  There's also a lot more homemade stuff happening around here.  I mean, we almost always ate homemade foods before, but they weren't entirely homemade; now if I want to make stuffing, for example, I have to think about every ingredient down to the bread cubes.

3.  However, I'm having some trouble figuring out what to do with old favourite recipes that aren't 'whole foods friendly'.  So far, I have no real solutions in hand.  I'm doing the best I can with what I've got, but we certainly have a long way to go.  For example, I've gone from buying bread, to making bread, to just today buying whole wheat flour in order to start making whole wheat bread.  It's not organic, sprouted-grain, gluten free...but it's the next step.

4.  You know what my biggest recipe hurdle is so far?  Besides bread?  Snacks.  David came home last night with peanuts (he often brings a bag of potato chips home with him) and plaintively asked "are peanuts okay?".  "Um, I think so."  I said.  But the truth is I don't really know what we can and can't eat here.  Plans for snacks this week include:

whole grain apple muffins
homemade fruit leather
pumpkin cookies

I'm also certain that decent desserts might win over the crowd, and so I'm going to try:

white bean cake
banana ice cream
pumpkin pie with a whole wheat crust

5.  I haven't even tackled organ meats, which are next on the list of things we need to somehow include in our diet.  I have a great sausage stuffing recipe that includes diced kidneys that I know everyone will eat, and tonight I'm going to try making a crustless steak and kidney pie.  I'm thinking liver pate might not be too hard.

6.  My sugarless tea still tastes like wet dirt.

7.  Has anyone had any experience making crackers/chips from vegetables?  Mine are not working out v. well.

3 comments:

Maria (also Bia) said...

i know baked kale chips are supposed to be delicious ...

and i like hot tea with a dollop of honey.

lissla lissar said...

Baked kale chips aren't bad, in my experience, but they don't compare to the deliciousness of potato chips. Which are a sort of whole food if you buy the nicer brands (ingredients: potatoes, oil, salt).

Unknown said...

Liver paté is very easy to make, and you can make it taste the way you want it. Also there is white pudding-like sausage to use liver, kidneys and other organ meats that I used to make a lot.

Hevel from kosherkola.com