Oh, I'm sick. Coughing, hacking, grossness sick. And I get to eat re-heated rice with milk on it for breakfast.
Breakfast - Hot rice with milk, toast, margarine and jelly, orange juice, tea
Lunch - Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, carrot sticks, macaroni and cheese, milk
Supper - Black bean soup with carrots, celery and onions, cornmeal muffins, iced tea
Snack - Cinnamon toast, milk, tea
Alright. What the hey is hot rice with milk doing on there? I don't know one solitary person who has ever told me that 'way back when they were kids' their mama gave them leftover rice, reheated in the microwave, with milk poured over it for breakfast.
"Maybe it's a name for something else" I thought. You know, so far collared greens don't have anything to do with collars, and hoe cakes have nothing to do with hoes...maybe 'hot rice with milk' refers to rice pudding?
Well, actually, it does seem to be rice pudding. And so I soldiered on with it. Surprise, surprise, Samuel loved it; he ate his bowl, half of my bowl and then half of David's bowl as well. I also made a dozen muffins (apparently I was supposed to make these the other day and fill them with jelly?) and all but three of them got eaten after breakfast...clearly everyone is super hungry around here.
Not me, really. I'm gross and sick, but everyone else is hungry.
I wasn't able to make lunch, frankly, nursing and coughing were the sum total of most of my day's activities. But I did tell David that they had to eat Kraft Dinner for the meal, and so he made it for him and Samuel. Supper was black bean soup, which I couldn't stomach the thought of making, and so Samuel (who was too hot to eat anyway) had a bowl of cherries and a muffin, and I drank orange juice, ate popsicles and debated saltines.
Not a great food day.
2 comments:
When I was a kid my best friend thought cold rice with milk and sugar was the best thing for breakfast. I have heard others laud it also. I've always loved rice, but this particular way of eating it never appealed to me, and I've never tried it. I think I might like it as a hot cereal, though.
In recent years we have, more often than not, eaten rice (or occasionally another grain) with tomato, avocado and olive oil for breakfast. It's really quite wonderful and rib-sticking.
I'm so sorry to hear you're sick. I hope you're able to rebound quickly.
Actually, HH's black bean soup is one that I still make. But the thought of eating soup in this weather is making me feel ill.
Post a Comment