Sunday, January 22, 2012

An easy recipe for Corn Casserole.

We had a missionary and friend come to supper a few nights ago and I made a batch of Corn Casserole.  This is one of the most versatile and frugal ways I've come across to feed a large crowd for little; I think I could feed six people, maybe more, for under $10.  Here's my recipe:

Finely chop a pound of bacon and fry.  When the bacon is almost done, add three diced onions and two cloves of diced garlic.  Remove from the pan, reserving the bacon fat (unless there is tonnes of it, in which case pour some into a container for your freezer as bacon fat is always useful later on).  Whisk some flour into the fat still in the pan and slowly add two cups of sour cream until smooth.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Add the bacon mixture back into the sour cream and combine well.  Then add 2kg (one of the big freezer bags) of frozen corn and mix until well combined.  Bake about 20 minutes at 375 and serve sprinkled with parsley.

I served it with egg noodles when we had our guest, but it could become a side dish, or perhaps the centre of a casserole topped with garlic mashed potatoes or a sage stuffing using up the stale bread in the house.  It could be a little prelude to a hearty soup, say, an acron squash with maple syrup number, or hey, it could even BE a soup if you added the cream component to make it a chowder!

I love Corn Casserole.  There's still a tonne left over and I've popped it into the fridge for later this week.

No comments: