Monday, June 6, 2011

What does a housewife do all day? - June 6th Edition

5:30 ish - I'm awake, but barely.  It seems as though someone small is screaming something at me.  What is he saying?  WHAT?  Oh, milk.  Right.  I go back to sleep.

6:00 ish - The small screaming person has been replaced by a boy jumping up and down on the bed.  David, bless him to the bottom of his selfless heart, gets up and drags the boy into the livingroom and away from Mama, who is holding on to the thought that if she could just get ONE MORE HOUR...

7:00 - There's a monologue coming from the livingroom that sounds as though Samuel is systematically tearing apart my house while being poked repeatedly by a sharp object.  David is not handling this well.  I finally call for the boy and he comes in to lie across my head and nurse.

7:15 - David tells me the bad news.  He has a doctor's appointment in the city, an hour away, and he is not bringing this tired and grumpy child with him.  This is very bad news.

7:16 - Adding to the bad news, I remember that the church photocopier broke last week and I called a repairman to come fix it today, forgetting that I was scheduled to work a shift at the cafe today.  And am apparently parenting as well.  And I don't have a car.  How is this going to work?

7:17 - "Bring me my planner and the phone" I croak (lovingly, of course) to my husband, who has morphed from the selfless head of an adoring household to a villan intent on saddling me with a hysterical toddler who is breaking in molars before my very eyes.

7:18 - I start by calling the cafe owner to see if I could come in later, once David gets home from the appt.  No answer.  I try the other cafe worker to see if she could cover my shift for an hour.  No answer.  I panic.  I run through the list of people who have keys to the church who could go in and meet the repairman for me this afternoon and end up calling one of the pastors who agrees to go from 1:30-3:30 to work on a sermon there, but then has to leave.

7:40 - 8:00 I start calling friends who may be able to watch Samuel for an hour during the overlap between when I have to work at the cafe and when David gets home from his appt.  C. is a 'no'.  M. is a 'no'.  I'm starting to worry.  A. is a 'no'.  I'm running out of ideas.  David puts the boy down for a nap.

8:00 - David leaves for his appointment.

8:10 - My father calls to talk to me about something completely unrelated to my current crisis and I unload the problem on him.."You'll figure it out." he says.  I'm not sure, I've been awake for over an hour and I haven't left my computer or my phone yet.

8:45 - I realize I've been calling the cafe owner on his work line, not his cell phone, and he's not at work till 10am, which doesn't help me.  I can't find the cell # anywhere.

8:50 - I finally get a hold of the other employee and SHE has the cell #.  I call the owner and explain that I cannot make it to work on time.

9:00 - I collapse, exhausted.  I need a coffee or something.

9:15 - I get a hold of David on his friend's cell phone just as he's walking in to his appt. to let him know the situation.  Then I get ready for the day.

9:16 - Wait, has the baby eaten yet?

9:17 - I try to think back over the past few hours...foggily in the background of the 7:00 sudden wake-up I remember something about 'half a banana'.  Did David say that all Samuel ate for breakfast was half a banana?  This is no good.  He's going to wake up soon and be ravenous.

9:18 - My fridge has no groceries in it.  I was supposed to go grocery shopping tonight.  I have to bring Samuel to his music class - he can't eat peanut butter before the music class,  and peanut butter is my 'you're ravenous and grocery shopping isn't till tonight fall back food".

9:20 - I throw together a make-shift meal we can bring with us that consists of tomato slices, carrot sticks, bread and butter and a can of beans.  And I make a cup of tea.

9:30 - My friend A. calls.  We missed each other last night and need to catch up, and this may be the only time today so I talk while I try and make a dent in my pile of dishes.

10:00 - Samuel wakes up in a terrible mood.  I'm trying to get us ready for music class, which we're now very late for.  I take off his diaper to change him and he pees on the carpet.  So I take him to the bathroom, where he pees again.  Then, off the toilet, he pees on the carpet again.  While I'm trying to hustle him back into the bathroom he pees on the floor.  I'm frantically trying to get my son, aka, The Sprinkler, onto some sort of pee-holding recepticle.  He runs into the hall and pees.  I grab him, grab a diaper, and bring him to the bedroom where I discovered...he just pooped all over me.  Back to the bathroom, washed, back to the bedroom, dried and diapered.  Change my clothes, dress him, pack the diaper bag.

10:30 - David walks in.  He got out of the appt early.  Mid-stream change of plans since Samuel is now crying to eat.  I microwave the beans and get a plate together.  Music class plans are scrapped.

11:15 - I take some time to eat as well, give David the run-down on Supper plans, etc., grab my purse and go to work.

11:30 - Work, technically 30 minutes late but also 30 minutes before my boss expected me after this morning's phone call!

11:30-2:00 - Managed the store for two and a half hours.  Church calls at 1:30 to ask me what the password is for the wireless connection.  I do not know this information.  I look less than bright.  Many phone calls and random guesses later the minister is frustrated with me and I'm frustrated in general.  Still no one is online at church.

2:00 - I get off work an hour early and race home.  Samuel and David are out, and all of my laundry, carefully hung on the line, has been SOAKED by the rain.

2:15 - The boys get home from returning library books and getting the mail just as I'm heading off to the church to handle the wireless crisis and, hopefully, not have missed the photocopier repairman.

2:55 - I make it to the church just in time to catch the repairman.  After he's gone I head to the computer store to pick up the tower for the church (the hard drive, apparently, went kaput.  The technical term for it.)

4:45 - Home again.  Make supper.  A fast one, the turkey broccoli casserole I save for extreme situations: (A defrosted bag of pre-cooked, cubed turkey.  Spread it in a casserole dish.  Cover with washed broccoli florets.  Stir together 1 can cream of broccoli soup and a can of milk and pour over top.  Sprinkle parmesan cheese.  Bake)  Then a bit of family time in the livingroom.

5:45 - We try and take a minute in our busy days to pray together as a family, and grace before meals offers us that opportunity.  Then we sit down to a meal together.

6:15 - Samuel and I take a little walk to the local ice cream parlour and have a scoop of vanilla after dinner.

7:00 - Home again, pop the baby into the bath while David puts away the leftovers from supper.

7:15 - Samuel is into bed for the night.  I consider and then reject the idea of washing the dishes, hanging some more laundry and having a bath myself.  I settle on having a cup of tea while David lies in bed to pray with Samuel until he falls asleep.

8:00 - David is asleep.  Samuel is asleep.  I'm still awake...but not for long